Bird Feet for Needle Felted Birds – Free Tutorial
How To Make Bird Feet
by our Felting Friend, Patty Gibson
When I started needle felting birds, I soon discovered that there was a need to come up with a method to create bird feet. At first, I knew of no simple process to do this but by experimenting with a few household products, I discovered that there was an easy way after all.
I would like to share with you what I learned on this journey and provide an easy, inexpensive, and very quick way for you to make your own bird feet. If you do not have a certain bird in mind or if you are a little unsure just how to make a bird; you can use the Nesting Bird Tutorial and create your own colorful bird body. Here is a simple process on how to make your very own bird feet.
For this project you will need white glue, jewelry wire, floral tape, fingernail polish and needle nose wire cutter/pliers.
1. Create your bird. I used the Nesting Bird in a previously posted tutorial
2. White glue, jewelry wire, floral tape, fingernail polish and needle nose wire cutter/pliers
3. Start with approximately 12 inches of wire
4. 2 inches down from the top of the wire, bend at a 90 degree angle (forming a bird leg)
5. To start creating the toes, make two 1” wire loops as shown (forming the first two toes)
6. For the second two toes, create duplicate loops at a 90 degree angle.
7. All four toes should be approximately the same size (1”). Now twist together the two long ends of the wire (leg) with your pliers
8. Using your pliers, twist the bird toes and arrange the toes as shown
9. Cut off the excess wire on the top of the leg
10. Take your floral tape and wrap around the top of the bird leg
11. Wrap the tape tightly around the wire
12. Continue wrapping around the bird toes
13. The bird foot should be completely covered with floral tape
14. I frequently use black and gray fingernail polish (you can use brown and cream, etc)
15. First brush on a black coat of polish
16. While the polish is still wet
17. Apply a little grey polish
18. The black should show through the grey and create a marbled look
19. Repeat all of the steps for the second bird foot
20. Now you are ready to attach the feet to your bird
21. You will need white glue
22. Apply a small amount of glue to the top of the bird feet
23. Wrap a small piece of wool around the glued top of the leg
24. Lightly needle felt the wool
25. Needle felt the feet to the bird body
26. Continue needle felting until firmly applied
27. Apply colored wool to blend the leg into the bird body
28. The feet are now firmly attached to the bird body
29. While holding the bird feet, adjust the bird until it is balanced and stands by itself
Now you can create some interesting places to display your bird masterpiece. Enjoy!